Dr. M. Sarngadharan is an authority in Comerce education in India and a well recognised expert in Industrial Management, Finance and Power Industry.. He has ontributed nearly 600 Articles on Education, Employment Finance and Banking in leading News Papers and Periodicals both in English and Malayalam He is a famous coulumnist dealing various subjects in Finance, Industry, Tourism, Power Sector, etc. Currently he is serving as Professor and Chairman PG BoS, Department of Commerce, University of Kerala.
Birth and Education
Born on 15-02-1950 at Thattamala, Kollam District he is considered to be an authority in Commerce education. Tourism industry and Power sector
He had his basic education in Kollam. He secured his M.Com. degree with first class first rank from the University of Kerala (1975) and Ph. D. in Commerce from the University of Calicut (1986). He has been teaching at the post-graduate level for the past 4 years and carrying out research activities for the last 27 years.
He has served as the Administrator of the SNDS Trust, Sivagiri with the full powers of the Trust Board taken over by the Government of Kerala for management for two years (1997 - 99). Many developments were initiated in the trust during his tenure
He has authored 17 books on varying aspects of business and commerce sectors of the country. . He has also served as Dean, Faculty of Commerce, University of Kerala and Member Senate, Cochin University of Science and Technology. Presently, he is a Member, Senate and Academic Council and Chairman, P.G. Board of Studies in Commerce, University of Kerala and Member, Curriculum Committee, VHSE, Government of Kerala under the Chairmanship of State Minister for Education. His joint studies on Electricity Industry in Kerala with Dr D Shina, an Electricity Finance Expert were well noticed.
He has participated in several International Conferences and visited Spain, UK, Singapore, Malaysia and Nepal. He is the Chief Editor of Journal of Business Studies published from Trivandrum. He has successfully guided 27 candidates for Ph.D. degree and 102 candidates for M. Phil degree
1. Health Tourism in India – New Century Publication, New Delhi 2009
2. Traditional Industries in India in the Globilized Economy – New Century Publication New Delhi 2007
3. Indian Economy in the Globalized World – New Century Publication New Delhi 2006( rated as Best Seller by Booknews Inc, Portland, USA in August 2007)
4. Tourism and Sustainable Economic Development –Indian and Global Perspectives - New Century Publication New Delhi 2005
5. Management Information System - Himalaya publishing house Mumbai 2004
6. Growth of Commercial Banks in Kerala - Management Publishing House, Trivandrum (1990).
7. Women Entrepreneurship – Institutional Support and Problems - Discovery Publishing House, New Delhi (1995)
8. Towards Managerial Excellence (Ed.) - Discovery Publishing House, New Delhi (1996)
9. Marketing - Vidhyardhi Mithrom, Kottayam (1997)
10. Share Market (Malayalam) - State Language Institute, Government of Kerala (1994).
11. Tourism (Malayalam – Ed.) - State Language Institute, Government of Kerala (2001).
12. E-Commerce (Malayalam) - State Language Institute, Government of Kerala (2001).
13. Edited 10 Books on Sree Narayana Philosophy while working as Administrator of SNDS Trust, Sivagiri as deputed by the Government of Kerala.(1997-99)
14. Accounting (Malayalam) - State Language Institute, Government of Kerala (1996).
15. Book Keeping (Malayalam) - State Language Institute, Government of Kerala (1979).
16.Electricity Industry in the Public Sector in India - Digital book, ideaindia.com (2009).
Topics of Doctorates awarded:
1 Ambili Kumar V: Working of Small Scale Industries in Kerala with reference to Trivandrum district 1990
2 Manoharan Nair : Problems and prospects of plantation Industries in Kerala 1991
3. Gopi, V.K.: Financial Administration of Panchayats in Kerala 1991
4 Dayanandan M.N: The Kerala State Cashew Development Corporartion : An evaluative study 1991
5 Thomas Koshy : Role of non-banking financial institutions in the industrial development of Kerala 1992
6 Thomas,P.C : Problems and Prospects of Village Industries in Kerala 1992
7 Resia Beegam ,S: Study of problems of women enterprenurs in Kerala 1994
8 Unuskutty.K.K: Empirical study on plantation schemes financed by primary
co-operative agricultural and rural development banks in Kerala 1994
9. Sajeev. S: Trade unionism in Kerala - an empirical study 1995
10 Rajithakumar.S : Marketing management of small scale industries in Kerala1997
11 Joseph Antony:The role of Kerala tourism development corporation Ltd. in the
promotion of tourism 1998
12 Gireeshkumar,G.S: Primary housing co-operatives in Kerala- An evaluative study
13 Abraham .P.O : Problems and prospects of rubber based industries in Kerala 2002
14 Anil Prasad.V: Financial Management of Public Sector undertakings in Kerala 2002
15 Manilal, K: Kerala State Textile Corporation: An evaluative Study 2003
16. Nandakumar Damodara Prasad: HRM in the textiles units in Kerala 2003
17 Jacob Thomas: Consumer behaviour in retail marketing of textiles 2004
18. Sibila Pius : Forest industrial products in the public sector 2005
19. Anandan, D :Electrical equipment industry in the public sector 2005
20. Muraleedharan, K. M. : Marketing of banking services in Kerala 2005
21. Yohannan Varghese : Employment security measures in unorganized sector of
Kerala- an evaluative study 2005
22 Minimol.M.C : E-Governance and Rural Self Government- A Study of Kerala state
23. Noushad .P.M :Tea Industry in Kerala – Problems in Production on Marketing
24. Anil Kumar .K: Performance evaluation of the Kerala State Development Corporation for Scheduled castes and Scheduled tribes 2006
25 Jaya Kumari, S.: Export trade of traditional items : A study of Kerala
26. Shina, D: Financial performance of the Kerala State Electricity Board 2007
27. Sunanda,V.S:Health tourism in Kerala with special reference to Ayurveda :
An evaluative study 2008
Positions held in Academic Bodies
• Chief Editor of Journal of Business Studies (half yearly research Publication) published from Trivandrum (serving since 2001)
• Member, Senate, University of Kerala.( 1996-98 and 2006-08)
• Member, Academic Council, University of Kerala ( 1994 to 2009).
• Dean, Faculty of Commerce, University of Kerala for 2 years (1996-98).
• Member, P.G. Board of Studies (Commerce), University of Kerala (serving since 1988).
• Chairman, P.G. Board of Studies (Commerce), University of Kerala (serving since 1994)).
• Member, Research Development Council, University of Kerala (1995-97).
• Member, University-Industrial Liaison Cell. (serving)
• Member, P.G.Board of Studies (Commerce), Kannur University (2000-02)
• Member, P.G.Board of Studies (Master of International Business), Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu. (serving)
• Chairman/Member of Board of Examiners and Question Paper Setters of many Universities in India on several occasions.
• External Expert of the Selection Committees constituted by several Universities and affiliated Colleges for appointment to various categories of teachers and administrators.
• Member, Senate, Cochin University of Science and Technology (2001-05)
Positions held in Government Bodies
• Chairman, Board of Studies for Vocational Higher Secondary, Government of Kerala ( 2002 -07)
• Member, State level Curriculum Committee for VHSE under the Chairmanship of Minister for Education (2002-07)
• Member PEER Team National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
• Member General Council and Executive Committee of State Institute for Management and Training for Higher secondary Educators
• Advisor to selection Committees of University Grants commission
• Advisor to selection Committees of UPSE and Staff Selection Commission (Government of India)
• Visited UAE and gave lectures on career Planning and Sree Narayana Philosophy in all the seven Emirates, also participated in interactive radio programme organized Radio Asia UAE in 2007 and 2008.
• Presented paper in ‘Hosting the World 2002’ held at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in July 2002. The full text of the research paper presented was included in the conference proceedings as the first article
• Participated in ‘International Conference on Sports Tourism organized by WTO at Barcelona Spain in the year 2001
• Visited United Kingdom 2001.
• Visited Singapore and delivered a speech at S.N .Mission in July2002
• Visited Nepal in 1985.
Mass Mediia Participatons
• Conducted quiz programmes, and participated in discussions and talks telecast by Doordarsan, Asianet, Soorya TV, Kairali TV,Jai Hind TV, Manorama Vision and an Interview in BBC(in 1998 on Sree Narayana Philosophy)
• Participated in Live Programmes on Management Topics Broadcast by All India Radio for three years, delivered lectures in Radio Asia, UAE
• Contributed nearly 600 Articles on Education, Employment Finance and Banking in leading News Papers and Periodicals both in English and Malayalam
• Columnist of ‘Kerala Kaumudi daily, on Career Planning and Financial Matters, having circulation of over 2 lakh copies besides online edition
Awards and Recognitions
• Edited Volume titled Indian Economy in the Globalized World, Published by New Century Publication, New Delhi was rated as Best Seller by the Booknews Inc, Portland, USA in August 2007
• Honoured by Dr.Ambedkar Institute of Legal Studies for Producing the highest Number of PhD’s in Humanities and Social Sciences in Kerala in Jan 2008
• KalaKerala Award For The Best Educationalist in the State of Kerala during 2005
• Gurusmirithy Award 1999 for the Best Social Worker instituted by Guruseva Samithy, Palathuruthi, Cochin (Presented by Mr.S.Sharma, Minister for Cooperation, Government of Kerala).
• Gold Medal of the Kerala University Students’ Union for the First Rank in M.Com. Degree Examination 1975. Presented by Prof. Nurul Hassan, the then Union Minister for Education, Govt. of India.
• President of the Central Committee, Kerala Kaumadi International Readers Club (serving)
• Served as the Secretary, Friends’ Forum (Reg.), Trivandrum (1993 – 96).
• Served as Secretary, Department Council, Commerce, University of Calicut – Statutory Body (1981-85).
• Served as Treasurer, S.N.Club (Reg. with Government), Trivandrum (1993).
• Served as Secretary, S.N.Club (1994 and 1995).